Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neonguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Hello,

I just order the Accelero X2 on Newegg. Was wondering for people who install the Accelero X2 remove the wide metal part on the stock cooler of the ATI X1900 XT? Is it is better to keep the wide metal then removing it? What are the advantage and disadvantage of not having it?

MacX1900xtStock.jpg

Original ATI X1900 XT with the wide metal.

Mac_X1900_acceleroX2Cooler.jpg

After installing the Accelero X2.

Racerdog55

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2006
Lumberton, Tx.
Accelero X2

I just installed the same cooler on my 1900 ati card, I never thought about removing that part, Dosent look like it makes any difference in the performance.

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
What exactly is ATI's stated purpose of that metal thing anyways? Is it supposed to be used for future expansion of the card, like maybe adding a pcb with more video ram or a 2nd GPU or what :confused:

Either way, it does not appear to have anything to do with the cooling options........

Neonguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
From what I heard the metal surrounding protect the Graphic Card from being broken when it pre-install on the Mac Pro to be ship. Since it's rather a large card. I also notice the metal part help the Graphic Card fit better and more secure. I didn't like the metal part anyway, it's way too long and make the card heavier. It's also harder to install and need a lot more patient and time, you have to tilt it a lot.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The reason for the bracket is to keep the GPU from not putting stress on the PCIe socket as it's a heavy card. Also it prevents the card from making contact with the bottom of the case which can cause a short circuit and the machine to restart.

Neonguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
The reason for the bracket is to keep the GPU from not putting stress on the PCIe socket as it's a heavy card. Also it prevents the card from making contact with the bottom of the case which can cause a short circuit and the machine to restart.

That help, I'm going to keep the red outer metal then. I heard the original screws doesn't fit onto the metal part since it a bit too short? I have to re-use the screw from the original stock cooler?

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
That help, I'm going to keep the red outer metal then. I heard the original screws doesn't fit onto the metal part since it a bit too short? I have to re-use the screw from the original stock cooler?

I've just this minute finished installing the Accelero X2. It is really easy, just take your time and be careful. Your right that on a couple of the screws you need to reuse the ones of the stock cooler as the ones that come with the Accelero don't fit. You'll see which ones they are when you get to it though.

On a side note, I can definitely tell the difference at idle, its quieter, although the Mac Pro is still far from silent as some people say!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.