Mesh router with a D-Link smart switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-23 22:37:32
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, I'm not very familiar with setting a wireless network like this up, so I figured I'd ask the pros. 

I live in a big shared flat, with fairly thick concrete walls. And several of us are having issues with the wifi, so I'm hoping to improve things. 

I'll start with describing our current setup. We have a modem with one Ethernet cable feeding straight to a router, and another Ethernet cable feeds a D link Web Smart Switch. 

The web smart switch has Ethernet cables wired into various rooms. And there is a second router that is fed from the Web Smart Switch. 

I was hoping to replace our current two routers with several Deco X20's. 

Would it be possible to wire one main Deco X20 to the modem, and from that main X20 wire into the Web Smart switch?

And then we can wire in an X20 into any room that is having wifi issues?

Or should the main router be something more powerful, that will be able to relay the signal through the Web Smart Switch into the various other X20 routers?

I hope I'm making sense! I'd appreciate any help or insight

Options
5 Reply
Re:Mesh router with a D-Link smart switch
2022-11-24 06:36:55

@CharlesM99 

Hi, the following network map would work fine:

Internet service---ISP modem---main router----main Deco X20---A network switch---Satellite X20 #2

\----Satellite X20 #3

\----Satellite X20 #4

The main concern for me is the D-Link smart switch you have mentioned. Can I have the model number of the switch?

The Deco Ethernet backhaul feature is based on the standard IEEE 1905.1 protocol. However, we find that some switches, mainly the D-Link switches, will not forward packets based on IEEE 1905.1 protocol, causing all Deco units in a network loop and become quite unstable. 

For more details, you might have a look at this link:General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2022-11-24 07:10:15

@David-TP 

Thanks for the reply.

The switch is a D-Link Web Smart Switch DGS-1210-24.

Do you know if that model is IEEE 1905.1 compatible?

Thank you

Options
2022-11-24 07:55:57
Also I noticed you have a "main router" between the modem and the main deco unit. Is that necessary? I'd rather just have all Deco routers and not have to deal with any other routers?
Options
2022-11-24 11:29:10

@CharlesM99 

Hi, the main router is not necessary and Deco could also be used as a router.

As for the IEEE 1905.1 compatibility, I did not see any official documents, only user feedback on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking/comments/j0rn9i/dlink_covr_products_mesh_wifi_support_says/

Best regards.

Options
2022-11-24 14:52:26

@David-TP 

Thank you! You even checked Reddit for me.

Unfortunately I found out from D-Link that my model of Managed Switch does not support IEEE 1905.1

So I'll have to either replace the switch or come up with a different solution. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 529

Replies: 5

Related Articles