Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reef worm id

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reef worm id
    Posted: November 12 2011 at 10:49pm
Checked out my tank tonight and found something swimming in the water column near the top. I thought it was a small missing fish in my tank, but I was able to capture it and examine it. It turns out it was a worm, but it does not look like the typical bristle worms that I have seen before over the years. Its movement in the water was not the same as when I have seen bristle worms spawn in open water. I have these two photos, so maybe someone knows what kind it is.

The top portion is white and the lower portion is red. Both are feathery all the way to the center. It has two antennia. There is a prodomenant vein running down the center that you can watch the blood pulse through it. It really looked more like a small slender fish than a worm swimming in the water.

Nothing like something cool and unusual to spice up the evening.

Edited by WhiteReef - November 16 2011 at 11:00am
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2011 at 11:01pm
Have no idea what it is but it looks nasty!!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2011 at 8:34am
I added two vidoes of it swimming. The first one it gets sucked into the powerhead and survives. The second one is just where it is swimming.

Since I have not had issues related to it or that I know of, I put it back in. I just don't know if it was from the Florida LR/LS or from a frag.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2011 at 10:53am
I have seen them in my tank also.  I noticed it right after adding live florida rock. I have not noticed any problems from it and have not seen it again. 
220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2011 at 11:00am
How big is it? It looks long. It isn't shy that's for sure! I cannot wait until someone identifies it.

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2011 at 5:48pm
It is about 2 inches long.
----------------

Richard

20" x 18" x 31"H
19cobra93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 19cobra93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2012 at 12:13pm
Looks like a fireworm to me.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2012 at 1:18pm
Nice pics.
The "so called" Fireworms I have ever seen, look just like Bristleworms, but the only worm that ever seemed to be eating coral in any of my tanks, had the form of a Bristleworm, yet it was 3 times the size and drab green. It lived under a rock and I caught it with the bunched Bridal Veil trap.

Unless I find something getting eaten in my tank, I don't worry about it. I've seen hundreds of different types of worms over the years but only had problems with that green one.

There are something like 3000 worms related to the bristleworm.

Here are some pics of some cool worms in a friends tank. This was the first time we saw them. The second time, I caught some but they disintegrated in the net. Made me think they are like a Salmon that dies and deteriorates quickly after spawning.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2012 at 10:13am
My guess is it is a Free swimming Epitoke!

Epitoky
is a form of reproduction observed in polychaete marine worms. The worms undergo a partial or complete transformation into an epitoke, a pelagic morph capable of sexual reproduction.

Often an epitoke is the posterior part of the worm, which separates from the anterior part (called the atoke); gametes are produced inside the epitoke. The epitoke may also form by asexual budding from the posterior.

There are two methods in which this can occur, epigamy and schizogamy. In epigamy, the whole worm transforms into a swarming epitoke. It rises and sheds its eggs and sperm. After reproduction, it dies. In schizogamy, the sexual forms are budded from the posterior or from the parapodia to swarm. This is effectively asexual reproduction of the epitoke.

In the third form (characteristic of Nereidae, for example), the whole worm becomes an epitoke. This form may be accompanied by partial or full degeneracy of digestive organs (causing the animal to die quickly) and enhancement of motor and sensory organs; in particular, whereas in its nonreproductive form the worm is a crawling animal, when it becomes an epitoke the worm develops swimming appendages, such as broad parapodia with paddle-shaped chaetae.

Epitokes swim to the plankton-rich surface region, where the gametes erupt from the body and the larvae hatch. This action is often synchronized with moon cycles, and epitokes swim in swarms.

In the past it was thought that epitokes were separate species from polychaete marine worms.

Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic