IGNORED

Dreamworks or Pixar?

linkster

Which studio do you prefer?  

141 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 minutes ago, JPL said:

What's this? They've all got different expressions. Is it the one raised eyebrow thing?

And the mouths. At least 8 have the same mouth expression. It's a thing about how Dreamworks characters all lack any different types emotion other than smug.

1 hour ago, linkster said:

I’ve explained why it is i find them exploitative and shallow, but I am genuinely interested in whether others see the DW movies in the same way I do. That’s the point of a discussion forum. If all you’ve got to say is my opinions are shit then fine but let’s leave it there as I find that very boring.

Ok. I find Dreamworks to be too basic in their approach. They have some great films like I said but the vast majority I find the be cookie cutter drivel with rubbish and forgetful characters aimed at nothing but young kids. Obviously there's nothing wrong with that because that's their target audience but I feel with Pixar you get more than that. You get better story lines, amazing characters and unforgettable moments. They are catered both for adults and kids and come with some fantastic messages (even if they are layered on think) and done it very interesting ways. We see them easier because we're adults and have experience in the world but for kids its a great way to get the messages across whilst also being entertaining and fun. I also find the animation with Pixar to be utterly stunning at time and much better than anything Dreamworks has ever done. 

zICHFTY.png

inside-out-ss1.jpg.8340e17a9b6a88e26765bca97daea162.jpg

265.thumb.png.a8cd064eb56c429cea85eadbed47fff6.png28440-GoodDinoHP.1200w_tn.thumb.jpg.981d3bab98bed3ab5cdfe30e2fe8abe6.jpg

coco.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=1

11 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Ok. I find Dreamworks to be too basic in their approach. They have some great films like I said but the vast majority I find the be cookie cutter drivel with rubbish and forgetful characters aimed at nothing but young kids. Obviously there's nothing wrong with that because that's their target audience but I feel with Pixar you get more than that. You get better story lines, amazing characters and unforgettable moments. They are catered both for adults and kids and come with some fantastic messages (even if they are layered on think) and done it very interesting ways. We see them easier because we're adults and have experience in the world but for kids its a great way to get the messages across whilst also being entertaining and fun. I also find the animation with Pixar to be utterly stunning at time and much better than anything Dreamworks has ever done. 

zICHFTY.png

inside-out-ss1.jpg.8340e17a9b6a88e26765bca97daea162.jpg

265.thumb.png.a8cd064eb56c429cea85eadbed47fff6.png28440-GoodDinoHP.1200w_tn.thumb.jpg.981d3bab98bed3ab5cdfe30e2fe8abe6.jpg

coco.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=1

Fair dos, thanks

wish i felt the same, obviously! Sooner enjoy a film than not!

I wondered if it was kind of a Marvel / DC thing but i guess it is literally just me .. 

9 minutes ago, linkster said:

Fair dos, thanks

wish i felt the same, obviously! Sooner enjoy a film than not!

I wondered if it was kind of a Marvel / DC thing but i guess it is literally just me .. 

Yeah sorry wasnt trying to be a dick was just messing on. But its probably because I love Pixar films, Wall-E is one of my favourite films ever.

Maybe, but please dont tell us you prefer the recent DC films to Marvel too haha.

9 hours ago, Nick R said:

27-0 at the moment! Is this the most one-sided poll we've ever had? :lol:

A while ago I had an idea for what our next forum film poll could be once the GOTY awards are done: Rllmuk's favourite animated feature films. But I never suggested it because I wouldn't have time to count the votes and do the writeups. Looking at the people who've organised our polls before... how about it, @ngchol / @Benny / @Chosty / @lordcookie:eyebrows:

You've already had your pound of flesh from me.

I find Pixar to be horribly overrated. IMHO they have made 2 fantastic 10/10 films (incredibles and toy story), a few 9/10s ( Wall e, Monsters Inc and Up) and the rest are 7/10  at best. Not terrible by any means, but far from perfect. 

I almost walked out of Inside Out it was such dross made for the yummy mummy/hipster brigade. Can’t stand TS3 and the less said about MU, C2 and the other cash in sequels the better

Dreamworks Aren’t much better with only one classic, KFP. 

Neither of them are fit to lick the boots of Disney. 

They've both done some decent films. Pixar are better animators and make everything look more amazing than anything. Some of the other lot's are funnier in general though, maybe because they're just stupid and that tickles me. Penguins of Madagascar is utterly ace. 

And on the plus side, neither of them made Ice Age. 

18 minutes ago, sandman said:

I find Pixar to be horribly overrated. IMHO they have made 2 fantastic 10/10 films (incredibles and toy story), a few 9/10s ( Wall e, Monsters Inc and Up) and the rest are 7/10  at best. Not terrible by any means, but far from perfect. 

I almost walked out of Inside Out it was such dross made for the yummy mummy/hipster brigade. Can’t stand TS3 and the less said about MU, C2 and the other cash in sequels the better

Dreamworks Aren’t much better with only one classic, KFP. 

Neither of them are fit to lick the boots of Disney. 

What about HTTYD? How can anyone hate that?

27 minutes ago, sandman said:

Finding Nemo is a masterpiece.

43 minutes ago, stefcha said:

And on the plus side, neither of them made Ice Age. 

Don't go knocking the first one! The sequels are complete dreck, somehow finding a way to be twice as bad as the last, but the first one was great.

6 hours ago, linkster said:

Crass?

Coco just won an Oscar. It’s like every other Pixar movie. Just nothing to it.

Seriously? Just no...next you'll be saying the opening to Up didn't have you sobbing (very few films have ever moved me quite as much as that 4 minutes of animation - sniff)

But then I remember your views on Thor: Ragnorak and it all makes sense.

Anyway the more interesting debate as noted earlier would be Disney animation vs Pixar - a few years ago Pixar were knocking Disney's own stuff out of the park but more recently Disney has had the edge (Moana, Tangled, Frozen, Zootopia, Big Hero Six would trade everytime for say Dorey, Monsters University, Cars 3 or even Inside Out).

But during Pixar's golden period Toy Story through to Toy Story 3 they were pretty much untouchable.

Dreamwork's output - How to Train Your Dragon is fab but owes a lot of its appeal to its source material and the early Shrek films were fun - and then um...oh wait Kung Fu Panda was great film. But yeah... (actually I thought Despicable Me was Dreamworks too - which I also love but apparently not)

11 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

Seriously? Just no...next you'll be saying the opening to Up didn't have you sobbing (very few films have ever moved me quite as much as that 4 minutes of animation - sniff)

Five minutes of Up (which are brilliant) doesn't make it a good movie, It's a short stretched too thin which is what I said earlier. Same with WallE, although that had about a good half hour before it got tedious

11 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

But then I remember your views on Thor: Ragnorak and it all makes sense.

The problem with up though .... is we ALL remember those first 4 minutes and not the talking dogs or comedy pratfall bird.  Sure up is an amazing movie, but it never really tops those first 4 minutes. 

I'd like to mention :

Akira

Metropolis

Ghost in the shell

and anything from Studio Ghibli .

Also:Belleville Rendez-vous

Which although not pixar or Dreamworks, are better than 90% of either :hat:

2 minutes ago, linkster said:

Five minutes of Up (which are brilliant) doesn't make it a good movie, It's a short stretched too thin which is what I said earlier. Same with WallE, although that had about a good half hour before it got tedious

Well no the opening is the set up, would be a fairly tragic film if that is all it did...

19 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

The problem with up though .... is we ALL remember those first 4 minutes and not the talking dogs or comedy pratfall bird.  Sure up is an amazing movie, but it never really tops those first 4 minutes. 

I'd like to mention :

Akira

Metropolis

Ghost in the shell

and anything from Studio Ghibli .

Also:Belleville Rendez-vous

Which although not pixar or Dreamworks, are better than 90% of either :hat:

Not sure we're really comparing like with like when referencing Akira and Ghost in the Shell vs Pixar or Dreamworks output though.  Just because a film is animated rather than live action doesn't mean they are directly comparable.

Ghibli - well yeah but that wasn't the debate though was it?

Just now, dreamylittledream said:

Well no the opening is the set up, would be a fairly tragic film if that is all it did...

Sure, in your view. 

Again you've misunderstood this isn't just about the volume of output of either studio, it's an ethos apparent in the stories

Toy Story, Up, Inside Out, Coco, Wall E, the ones that everyone seems to adore to me are just tiresome, overly melodramatic & have become a template to just shove the same movie out again and again. Why not, it's profitable.

I much prefer the kind of stories Dreamworks achieved with a more 'world view' of growing up, life and death, that's more intelligent, self effacing, funny, and positive from the outset

All I was interested in discussing, but clearly for some of you any criticism of Pixar valid or otherwise just touches a nerve

And yeah, Ragnarok was piss poor, again just my view but they should have written a script rather than repeat the Ghostbusters ad lib approach cos actors aren't generally good at dialogue 

1 minute ago, Sidewaysbob said:

No, but i thought we'd moved on from "my teams better than your team" to a more, "yes well there are more leagues out there than this one" type of conversations.  :D

FFS it never was meant to be that :(

I liked Monsters University more than most sequels for two reasons. Firstly, it was it's own thing, not weighed down by trying to build on the first. And secondly, (spoilers it you haven't seen it)

Spoiler

It goes against this toxic myth that we are constantly telling our kids that if you work hard and are determined you can achieve whatever you want. (It's toxic because it leads to concepts like 'the undeserving poor'.)

MU points out that it's ok not to be good at everything and that hard work doesn't go hand in hand with success.

Just now, Sidewaysbob said:

You started off the whole tread off with a stark choice, what were you expecting to happen ?

An interesting discussion on the nature of the output of both types of studio. As i said before I wondered whether it was a Marvel / DC thing. Clearly I was wrong but didn't know that when I started.

5 minutes ago, linkster said:

Sure, in your view. 

Again you've misunderstood this isn't just about the volume of output of either studio, it's an ethos apparent in the stories

Toy Story, Up, Inside Out, Coco, Wall E, the ones that everyone seems to adore to me are just tiresome, overly melodramatic & have become a template to just shove the same movie out again and again. Why not, it's profitable.

I much prefer the kind of stories Dreamworks achieved with a more 'world view' of growing up, life and death, that's more intelligent, self effacing, funny, and positive from the outset

All I was interested in discussing, but clearly for some of you any criticism of Pixar valid or otherwise just touches a nerve

And yeah, Ragnarok was piss poor, again just my view but they should have written a script rather than repeat the Ghostbusters ad lib approach cos actors aren't generally good at dialogue 

I don't know where you got that I was debating volume-  Dreamworks have made a lot of films but most of them are passable kids trash, certainly most of them lack the multi layered depth of Pixar's output.

And Toy Story et al are so beloved because they hit universal human emotions that most people relate to (like growing up and stuff) and so are more universally relatable.

Ragnorak is great because it combines a great script with garish comic book action - its literally a silver age comic brought to life via the 80s - I honesty can't understand how anyone could hate it - but hey opinions etc

2 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

I don't know where you got that I was debating volume-  Dreamworks have made a lot of films but most of them are passable kids trash, certainly most of them lack the multi layered depth of Pixar's output.

And Toy Story et al are so beloved because they hit universal human emotions that most people relate to (like growing up and stuff) and so are more universally relatable.

Ragnorak is great because it combines a great script with garish comic book action - its literally a silver age comic brought to life via the 80s - I honesty can't understand how anyone could hate it - but hey opinions etc

I notice you've edited your post earlier to comment that you thought KFP was great, so we agree on those two. As franchises go, KFP, HTTYD, plus Shrek, that's six movies that I think are really exceptional, the only Pixar movie I've seen that deals with growing up in the same way AS THOSE MOVIES (rather than Pixar's usual MO) is Brave, that's why I like it, that's why I started the thread

1 minute ago, linkster said:

I notice you've edited your post earlier to comment that you thought KFP was great, so we agree on those two. As franchises go, KFP, HTTYD, plus Shrek, that's six movies that I think are really exceptional, the only Pixar movie I've seen that deals with growing up in the same way AS THOSE MOVIES (rather than Pixar's usual MO) is Brave, that's why I like it, that's why I started the thread

Well KFP is a really good film - I think it lacks some of the depth of Pixar's stuff but its a genuinely entertaining movie.  The sequels less so but then again Pixar have stumbled pretty much every time they've tried a sequel (with the obvious exception of the Toy Story trilogy which all 3 are masterpieces).

I do feel Pixar have handled the experience of growing up far better than any of those 3 films though - I'm reluctant to give HTTYD too much space here as its based on a great series of books - but say Inside Out, Toy Story 2/3 and Coco do it so much better than most of Dreamworks output.

Brave is an odd film because Merida is not really a sympathetic character - yes you can empathise with her frustrations but she's selfish and self obsessed and lacks both charm and innocence.  It lacks a core for the audience to buy into which I'm my opinion it will always be a footnote in Pixars output (its kind of telling that its quite hard to meet Merida at the Disney parks - she's a hard character to love).