inTank Media Baskets

Halymenia?

Newlinta

is it flat? Might be gracilaria curtissae. If its not flat might be nemastoma

It is flat and was growing in "tiers"

I think it may be gracilaria curtissae...

how easily broken is it? If it's rubbery and tough, could be gracilaria. If it's thin and translucent under intense lighting, it sounds like red dictyota, very invasive. Did you see how it was growing on the rocks at the LFS? If it hugged the rock and didn't have any distinct holdfasts, it makes me think its dictyota

how easily broken is it? If it's rubbery and tough, could be gracilaria. If it's thin and translucent under intense lighting, it sounds like red dictyota, very invasive. Did you see how it was growing on the rocks at the LFS? If it hugged the rock and didn't have any distinct holdfasts, it makes me think its dictyota

It is flat and semi-translucent in bright light, but doesn't break too easily.

It was growing out of the sides of the

rock like plates/shelves in levels/layers.

drunkenmonk21
yup thats the evil red titan

@Keydiver @drunken monk @GR Moore

Can I please send you some of this evil red titan for a confirmed identification?

Wait...... You want me to put evil red titan in my tank so it can take over?

Newlinta, Its a pretty macro, tell us if it takes over lol

i'd like to see this also. My titan that has multiple holdfasts doesn't look like that. It's a much darker red, not translucent, and doesn't grow in shelves but rather bushy

yup thats the evil red titan

@Keydiver @drunken monk @GR Moore

Can I please send you some of this evil red titan for a confirmed identification?

Kat, I'd be more than happy to receive a sample to ID and grow out. Send me a PM if you like.

It looks like the wrong blade shape for Gracilaria curtissae. I believe this is a Fauchea sp based on the shape of the stipe and blades. That's a very nice find!

• 3 weeks later...
RESONANCE

Definitely a type of red dictoya. Have had it before. Can be nice, BUT, can also get messy... dont let it get torn to bits or you'll see it float around and spread.

No thoughts,observations,opinions?
Definitely a type of red dictoya. Have had it before. Can be nice, BUT, can also get messy... dont let it get torn to bits or you'll see it float around and spread.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no red Dictyota species, only a common mis-identification of Fauchea.

Kind of off the subject here... what's that blue macro in the background behind the red mystery macro? Never seen it before and it looks great! Or is it some kind of star polyp thay I'm grossly wrong about?

The red doesn't look like any halymenia that I've seen. Maybe a gracilaria, though.

Kind of off the subject here... what's that blue macro in the background behind the red mystery macro? Never seen it before and it looks great! Or is it some kind of star polyp thay I'm grossly wrong about?

It is ochtodes....it grows like a weed in my tank...

I have some for sale,if you're interested...lol

johnmaloney

It isn't a titanophora species, it looks more like a rhodymenia sp. Gracilaria curtissae looks very similar, but is usually thicker and has a somewhat rubbery texture, yours looks much finer than that, but I can be wrong and it is worth a check.

Archived