Typical size for a Kamfa/ZZ flowerhorn?

silverrhino8

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2019
Hi everyone,

I've owned this Kamfa/ZZ flowerhorn (I'm not an expert but I was told that's what it was) for a few months now. He's around 5 inches. Just wondering if anyone with experience with these knows what length they max out at? I would think that because it has a shorter stockier body than most other cichlids it won't grow to something massive like 10 inches. But maybe I'm wrong? Would appreciate all of your thoughts on this. Thanks!

PXL_20210124_191653420.jpg

PXL_20210124_190942971.jpg

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Hi everyone,

I've owned this Kamfa/ZZ flowerhorn (I'm not an expert but I was told that's what it was) for a few months now. He's around 5 inches. Just wondering if anyone with experience with these knows what length they max out at? I would think that because it has a shorter stockier body than most other cichlids it won't grow to something massive like 10 inches. But maybe I'm wrong? Would appreciate all of your thoughts on this. Thanks!

View attachment 1448624

View attachment 1448625
Lol well your kinda wrong. FH's can grow upto a max length of 12in for the males and about 10in for females. It's takes em a couple of years to really start approaching max size tho. Yours from the looks of it I would imagine to be about at the 7-8in mark already. And btw yes yours is a Kamfa x ZZ Red Dragon, it's got the ZZ colors and kok size along with the tapered body style while it's also got a increased amount of pearls, white eyes and wider tailfin from the Kamfa genes. But yeah at the end out the day your keeping a fish that's potentially going to break 1ft or more in length. Even seen some that were upto 14+in.

Reactions: silverrhino8

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
Your fish doesn't look lke it's an SB.The most common max size for ZZ is about 10 inches or so,they slow down after this but i've seen plenty of fish that were about 12 inches.Imo a kamfa grows bigger than a regular ZZ mostly due to the fact that it has mostly vieja blood in it (vieja sysnpilum is what's used most of the time and they can get well over 13")and most kamfa can't be line bred like a regular ZZ and in turn doesn't have most of the health problem that come with ZZ FH being bred in tight gene pools.

silverrhino8

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2019
Nice, that's encouraging that he'll get big. I've owned most types of Central/South American cichlids before. That's my bread and butter. But I only started with flowerhorns a year ago. I've seen a few giant ones online but mostly of the kamfa variety.

What's an SB?

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
Nice, that's encouraging that he'll get big. I've owned most types of Central/South American cichlids before. That's my bread and butter. But I only started with flowerhorns a year ago. I've seen a few giant ones online but mostly of the kamfa variety.

What's an SB?
short body

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store