Kamfa breeding

Red Cichlids

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2019
Sacramento
Wow! Nice fish!

He looks as if he is already mostly vieja. If he is fertile, breeding with either of the vieja species will give you fish that are maybe 7/8 vieja.

I would prefer the guttulatus personally because you are more likely to retain much of the blue pearling.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Love the FH, very nice pearling and body color. I'd definitely agree that he's showing mostly veija traits and that his offspring will probably have most being the same but ya might end up with a few that have the more traditional Trimac body shape instead. As for what pairing I think would work best, I'd also have to agree with Red Cichlids. Personally tho I say ya should do both and then compaired the developed fry to one another. Hell ya could even cross the fry over to each other as well if ya want mostly veija traits.

Reactions: Bbuckley

sarmatian07

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2020
Wow! Nice fish!

He looks as if he is already mostly vieja. If he is fertile, breeding with either of the vieja species will give you fish that are maybe 7/8 vieja.

I would prefer the guttulatus personally because you are more likely to retain much of the blue pearling.
Perhaps I agree with your argument and start with the vieja guttulata. I tried to find hybrids from a similar cross. There is no such information. But I came across a video with a кamfa of an unusual color: blue on a red-burgundy background. Perhaps similar hybrids can be obtained from crossing with vieja guttulata.

IMG_9373.PNG

IMG_9374.PNG

sarmatian07

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2020
[QUOTE="Red Cichlids, post: 8301257, member: 17293
If he is fertile, breeding with either of the vieja species will give you fish that are maybe 7/8 vieja.
[/QUOTE]
There were also photos of hybrids from crossing with vieja melanura. Some of them are quite commercially attractive. I wonder if they can be called кamfa or just a hybrid vieja.

№76.PNG

№78.PNG

sarmatian07

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2020
Love the FH, very nice pearling and body color. I'd definitely agree that he's showing mostly veija traits and that his offspring will probably have most being the same but ya might end up with a few that have the more traditional Trimac body shape instead. As for what pairing I think would work best, I'd also have to agree with Red Cichlids. Personally tho I say ya should do both and then compaired the developed fry to one another. Hell ya could even cross the fry over to each other as well if ya want mostly veija traits.
I will try to work both ways. The main thing is that the male is fertile. This is my second try. Several years ago I had a similar kamfa, but it was not fertile.

222 361.JPG

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I will try to work both ways. The main thing is that the male is fertile. This is my second try. Several years ago I had a similar kamfa, but it was not fertile.

View attachment 1445657
Yeah that the only downside to FH's is that some are just not fertile. Ik when it comes to kamfas this tends to be more prominent then it is with other FH's. Seems like it's got something to do with having a majority of veija gene's.

sarmatian07

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2020
I still don't know if the male is fertile. There were two spawning sessions with a female vieja melanura. The male cleaned the bottom, danced in front of the female, but at the most crucial moment he stepped aside and watched as the female lays eggs. Next in line is a new tour with a female classic kamfa.

IMG_9811.JPG

IMG_9822.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store