DIY Sump and Bio Tower for 300G

TinyD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2008
I recently bought a 300 gallon (96"X24"X30") acrylic tank for my peacock bass. I polished it but dont have any finished pics of it yet. I am in the process of building the the filtration setup for it. Here are a few pics of what I have done so far. I still need to get bio media, build a stand, and plumb it. Designing and building this stuff is lots of fun!:)

Here is the mechanical portion of the filter. The water enters at one end and flows side ways to the other into the bio tower. IMO this setup seems more efficient than having the water flow from the top down because the waste is not constantly being forced down into the filter pads. There will be two 3" PVC pipes for the water entering the mechanical from the tank, and two 3" pipes entering the bio tower from the mechanical.

I made the Bio tower from a piece of 12" ID corrugated drainage pipe. The drip tray is made out of a 5 gallon bucket lid. To support the the drip tray, I used a piece plastic dry-wall edge with slots cut in it to fit the inside curve of the pipe. I then used rivets and 3M 5200 fast cure marine sealant to hold it in place. The metala on top will hopefully even out the flow of the incoming water.

Here is basically what the setup will look like underneath the stand. The clear rubbermaid box is only used in this picture to support the mechanical filter. I will be using cinder blocks underneath the mechanical filter once the system is setup.

Here is a picture of the tank before polishing it.

I was practicing the polishing process on the back of the tank. You can really tell the difference between the wet sanded look and after a coat of Novus stage 2 polish.

This is a terrible picture of my peacock bass. Dirty glass and lots of bubbles lol

Otto_VonBacon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
Montgomery TEXAS
Nice filter you got there, i really like the idea. makes me want to make one now..

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Your system looks strangely familiar. :thumbsup:

Mine is on the same principal, however my wet sump is lower than the wet/dry. I have a small pump that pumps water from the filtered side of the wet sump up to the wet/dry and then it returns by gravity to the unfiltered side. The small pump keeps everything alive when the main pump is off for extended periods.

My wet sump is also side to side. Here is my system:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36298&page=2
The equipment starts at post 10.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
By the way, three inch plumbing is going to be an over kill. I did the math for my 360g and I only needed two inch plumbing on the gravity side.

What pump are you going to use? I'll run the numbers for you.

TinyD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2008
CHOMPERS;2609930; said:
By the way, three inch plumbing is going to be an over kill. I did the math for my 360g and I only needed two inch plumbing on the gravity side.

What pump are you going to use? I'll run the numbers for you.
I am not sure what kind of pump I am going to use yet. My father said that I can use one of his centrifugal pond pumps if I want. They are very efficient and run at a low RPM. They pump around 3500 GPH, I am not sure at what head though. That would provide plenty of turnover for a 300 gallon with two 27 gallon filtration tubs. I dont think that running dual 3" pipes for the gravity section is going to hurt anything, I just want the least amount of head loss and don't want to regret not going bigger. My father and I have learned that the hard way haha

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Looks good. I love those big black tool tote containers. I can never seem to find them anymore - all mine are cracked from lugging around engine parts...

The only thing with piping that is too large is it might be noisey, as a lot of air will drain along with the water, and there will be some splashing inside the plumbing. Maybe that's not an issue for you though. Keep this updated!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store