Model Cars Magazine Forum

1926 Bugatti Type 32

curt raitz

Curt, great job on a very unique subject. I am very impressed with the scratch building techniques you are employing on this. Great job on the rivets and louvers.

I love this...this is exactly the part of modeling that I find the most exciting....finding, or creating, a unique subject and then building it. Just to employ techniques that are new to you expands your abilities for future projects. Like the old "Star-Trek" series used to say "Going Boldly where no man has gone before" (or something to that effect). Keep on breaking the boundaries and expanding our known "universe" of modeling. Congratulations, you have to be feeling pretty excited about the coming concussion of this build.

Very cool project!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got paint on the car...

Overall I'm pleased with the rivet detail, the carrier film is evident in a few places, especially with the smaller rivets. I suggest using the larger rivets to achieve the desired look.

Bugatti32_a-vi.jpg

Bugatti32_c-vi.jpg

Bugatti32_d-vi.jpg

Bugatti32_g-vi.jpg

JB Weld did the job on attaching the piano hinges...

Bugatti32_h-vi.jpg

I know Bugatti ran a transaxle on this car, but i couldn't see sacrificing a Bugatti T50 kit for just the transaxle...besides when everything is assembled, ya can't see the drive line anyhow. It will be our secret :lol:

Bugatti32_e-vi.jpg

I had to add spacers to the front axle to get the proper wheelbase...miscalculation on the modelers part

Bugatti32_f-vi.jpg

Almost there...

Bugatti32_i-vi.jpg

I can almost see the end of the rainbow on this build, still a lot of little details to go, yet!

thanx for lookin'

Curt, great job on a very unique subject. I am very impressed with the scratch building techniques you are employing on this. Great job on the rivets and louvers.

I love this...this is exactly the part of modeling that I find the most exciting....finding, or creating, a unique subject and then building it. Just to employ techniques that are new to you expands your abilities for future projects. Like the old "Star-Trek" series used to say "Going Boldly where no man has gone before" (or something to that effect). Keep on breaking the boundaries and expanding our known "universe" of modeling. Congratulations, you have to be feeling pretty excited about the coming concussion of this build.

Very cool project!

I'm going to "Piggy-back" off what Peter has already said, because he's right :D .

To me it's really exciting to see a modeler step up "His Game", and take risks in front of the whole world to see, and then pull off something this complicated and detailed, and look so right-on.

Beautiful job Curt :lol:

I applaud your choice of subject, and your new-found skills to complete it - dave

I'm going to "Piggy-back" off what Peter has already said, because he's right :D .

To me it's really exciting to see a modeler step up "His Game", and take risks in front of the whole world to see, and then pull off something this complicated and detailed, and look so right-on.

Beautiful job Curt :lol:

I applaud your choice of subject, and your new-found skills to complete it - dave

Yeah my old friend, I've got to agree with Peter and Dave...you've really outdone yourself this time!!

Congrats on a really cool build!!

Later,

This is looking FANTASTIC with the paint on .. better than I imagined it would! An awesome job you're doing on this, Curt! The running gear looks great ..nice color variations. :lol:

The rivets I was especially interested in because a have some Archer "weld beads" I'm applying to a drag coupe to weld the doors shut. They DO go on nice! Still have a few to apply and can't wait to get some paint over them to see how they look.

That is looking really good, Curt. What is really interesting about the body shape on the Tanks is that they are an airfoil section. If that car got up to any serious speed it would lift off!

Gentle correction: It was Tours that the race was held and there were four cars built.

That race had the most interesting field of cars besides the Tank. Also entered was the Voisin Laboratoire (google image that one)and a Miller! After the race one of the tanks was sold to the Juneks in the Czech republic. They cut down the cockpit opening a little and added a horn that poked out through the lower part of the radiater opening and painted it yellow! They drove it on the street!

I did a little more reading in my Bugatti book collection(35 and counting) and there is some dispute about whether 4 or 5 were built. Four showed up at Tours for the race. Hugh Conway who was considered one of the leading Bugatti authorities claims 5 based on serial numbers he found in the Bugatti archives. I am sceptical because cars were often renumbered when they went back to the factory for a rebuild from accident damage or Bugatti wanted to sell a used car as new so they gave it a new number. The Juneks only kept their Tank for a year and returned it to the factory because it was ill-handling. Their car sure looks a lot like the surviving car at the Museum in Mulhouse.

Here's a pic for your amusement.

T32tankjunek-vi.jpg

QUOTE(Peter Lombardo @ Nov 15 2009, 05:42 AM) post_snapback.gifCurt, great job on a very unique subject. I am very impressed with the scratch building techniques you are employing on this. Great job on the rivets and louvers.

Very cool project!

QUOTE(Treehugger Dave @ Nov 24 2009, 09:24 AM) post_snapback.gifI'm going to "Piggy-back" off what Peter has already said, because he's right ;) .

Beautiful job Curt :)

Yeah my old friend, I've got to agree with Peter and Dave...you've really outdone yourself this time!!

Congrats on a really cool build!!

Later,

Gotta agree with Raul, Peter, Dave--- ;) really nice little project Curt, and it's coming out real nice.

To me this is what modeling is all about. Great work!

Close to having this car finished...just gotta put the body on the chassis and attach a few exterior/interior parts...

upon completion, will post as "Underglass"

Bugatti32_p-vi.jpg

I'm not happy with the hinges used...hood won't open any further than this

Bugatti32_q-vi.jpg

Bugatti32_r-vi.jpg

Bugatti32_u-vi.jpg

Bugatti32_w-vi.jpg

Bugatti32_k-vi.jpg

Bugatti32_o-vi.jpg

Bugatti32_l-vi.jpg

thanx for lookin'...

Looks great! B);) Most of the mechanical bits such as the engine, transmission, drivetrain , etc. look to be from the Bugatti kit you used. What parts did you land up scratch building in those areas? The leather trunk strap is especially cool. Did you make it?

Scratch built the magnetto, the stick w/handle(i think this was for the mechanic to hang on to), gauges, radiator, seats and the leather strap(gaff tape w/wire buckle).

The carbs were out of the mg-td kit, had to do a lot of cleanup on them.