Iraqi MiG-29 Notes

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 5 months

please notes carefuly the Iraqi MiG-29,you will find pipe after the dorsal intake louvres:eek: ,my friend told me(he's military engineer from Iraq)

The Iraqi engineers are modify one MiG-29 with French system IFR prop,fixed to starboard side of the cockpit.

also the inner pylons of all the MiG-29s(9-12B),are modify with wet pylons to carry two external fuel tanks in each wing(took from Su-25 external fuel tanks,PTB-800),you can see the additional topical pipe just after the dorsal intake louvres,this pipe driving into fuel tank No.1,the new position of R-27 missile in mid pylon,tested.

I hope to get the pics from my friend in Iraq.

see the difference between the Iraqi MiG-29 and the others

Attachments
Original post

Member for

20 years 8 months

What is the function of the pipe?
BTW, seems like not the entire fleet had those, got some pics of derelict Iraqi Fulcrums leftovers without any mods.

29040 and 29062 had the pipe intalled, wonder about the rest.

Member for

19 years 1 month

please notes carefuly the Iraqi MiG-29,you will find pipe after the dorsal intake louvres:eek: ,my friend told me(he's military engineer from Iraq)

I hope to get the pics from my friend in Iraq.

see the difference between the Iraqi MiG-29 and the others

hi,

I see an aerodynamic housing behind the dorsal intake, not a pipe. Interesting is that it can be found on the left side too. Did they install the IFR probe on both sides of A/C? Talking Mig-29 fuel system, the left aerodynamic housing is placed near the filling orifice of the fuel tank 1.
see the pic.

The APU-470 attached to mid store points, impossible unless they created new rear attach point(if it wing structure allowes) and wired the front one for the APU-470/R-27R. I doubt the SUV of 9.12 can even handle more than two R-27R, so what is the reason of shifting the R-27R from inner to mid?

Member for

19 years 5 months

Hi ha27

see this picture, it have two pipe.

Attachments

Member for

19 years 1 month

a Mig-29 spine detail for better imagination...

Attachments

Member for

19 years 5 months

Hi

I have an information said that some of the iraqi mig-29 was modified to carry french Remora Ecm pod in mid of 1990s and one of these was escape to saudi arabia in 1995 but it crash in saudi land neer the border and the pilot killed.

Member for

17 years 10 months

I doubt the SUV of 9.12 can even handle more than two R-27R, so what is the reason of shifting the R-27R from inner to mid?

They moved it to make place for the PTB-800 fuel tanks - read again mm2000's first post.

The two symetrical fairings are probably put where the pipe coming from the drop fuel tanks trough the wing "bypasses" a structural frame in order to reach into fuel tank no.1

The IFR probe was on the side of the cockpit (as he said) and on a single airplane so it has nothing to do with the two fairings.

I believe the folowing picture shows APU-470s on the middle position under the wings:
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/3883/iraktt7.jpg

Member for

19 years 1 month

They moved it to make place for the PTB-800 fuel tanks - read again mm2000's first post.

That`s correct, I did realize it after. It is a known problem when you put 1150l under-wing fuel tanks, you can`t attach the APU-470 anymore.
I`ve checked drawings of the Mig-29 wing structure, there is no chance of attaching the APU-470 to mid store points 4(wing spar 1, rib 6) and 5(wing spar 2, rib 6) unless you make a substantial modification to the rib 6, behind the spar 3. Would like to see the installation in detail.

The two symetrical fairings are probably put where the pipe coming from the drop fuel tanks trough the wing "bypasses" a structural frame in order to reach into fuel tank no.1.

Mig-29 inner wet pylons are connected to in-wing fuel tanks and not to fuel tank 1. Connecting them to fuel tank 1 is simply illogical, due to order of fuel usage and fuel tranfer in fuel tanks. All line produced Migs-29 in early nineties were modified this way, so those aerodynamic fairings are definitely not what you expect them to be.

The IFR probe was on the side of the cockpit (as he said) and on a single airplane so it has nothing to do with the two fairings.

Are you guessing? Read his post again, I think he is putting the iFR system together with those fairings.

regards
M