Heavy Sniper Rifles Grenade Launchers.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yup, that was I tought, the biggest calibre I ever shoot was the Mauser 7,65mm arg wich is roughly like 30.06 and if that rifle is unpleasant without hearing protection, no brainer, the .50 surely is definately 3 times worst.

Les, if you used the late variant probably you notice how the large "inverted V" shaped muzzle brake deviated gasses backwards wich is cool to reduce recoil, but it increase the sound pressure in the shooter face, really nasty.

Attachments

• img002.jpg
    img002.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 189
My experience is with.308 and 30.06 and the 7.62x39, but I've been lucky enough to fire large bore and high power rifles at the range I used to visit in Texas. The owner would sometimes bring out his "toys" (Barret M82A1, Chey Tac .375, and something chambered in .338 Lapua) and would let anyone on the range shoot them if they paid for the ammo. I never got a chance on the Lapua, but the Barret and Chey Tac are a blast. The Barret was actually less daunting then I thought, the muzzle brake works very well and the noise (back to the shooter) is to me less than a 12 ga. My favorite is still that Chey Tac. It was a public sale, not military/law enforcement so it was intentionally downgraded in accuracy, but still was a nail driver. The owner has said he can get 1500 yd hits on a 2 ft. steel target and he is not specially trained, just an avid shooter with the means to afford a $20,000 rifle.

The one I want to really get my hands on is the Barret 416, everything I've read about it just screams a fun, accurate, and relatively simple gun.

Last edited:
This is wandering away from the main subject but I wonder about damage to hearing from muzzle blast. I am 74 now and don't do a lot of shooting but when I do, except when hunting, I use ear muffs except with 22 LR. My question is: when I was in the service, the only ear protection was cotton in the ears. On the range, in basic, we had coaches and shooters. The coach was looking directly into the breach of the Garand at 90 degrees with his right ear pointing down the barrel perhaps three feet from the muzzle with only cotton in the ears. I fired the 50 BMG and M60 with only cotton for ear protection. I wonder how much hearing damage occured? I have permanent tinnatus, ear ringing, but much of that happened after doing quite a bit of shooting with the 41 magnum I bought in the mid 1960s without any ear protection. I guess my question is: how effective was cotton for ear protection.

Pretty much no help at all Rich, unless it was really stuffed in there....

Ive unfortunaly fired alot of rounds without hearing protection in my years past, with only a Lash I headset in my ear....

Ive got severe hearing loss in both ears from a variety of different reasons, and not wearing proper hearing protection is one of the main contributing factors...

Not enough protection at all. Whenever we went to the range I always had ear plugs in. Whenever we did Air Gunnery of course I had my flight helmet on. Even with that though my hearing is shot, but I lend that mostly to flying.

Ive got severe hearing loss in both ears from a variety of different reasons, and not wearing proper hearing protection is one of the main contributing factors...

Enough said, every rifle shooter must take a good account of that :!:

Interesting austrian design orinted towards serious anti-armor role.

Steyr 15.2 mm IWS 2000 Anti-Materiel Rifle

Development

In order to fill a perceived gap in the number of support weapon types available to the infantry, Steyr-Mannlicher began the development of what they termed an Anti-Matériel Rifle (AMR) during the mid-1980s. At that time they envisaged a two-man single shot rifle capable of accurate fire up to 1,000m, the intended targets being armoured personnel carriers, soft-skin vehicles, electronics equipment and helicopters.

The ammunition was to be APDS or APFSDS with early development concentrating on APDS.Early trials with ammunition based on 12.7mm cartridges demonstrated that an APFSDS approach would be more beneficial, resulting in the construction of a small number of 14.5mm AMR 5075 semi-automatic rifles with smooth-bore barrels. Trials with these weapons resulted in a change of calibre to 15.2mm and a change of programme name to Infantry Weapon System 2000 (IWS 2000).Development work is still in being with a view to perfecting the ammunition and increasing the muzzle velocity to 1,500m/s. The most recent development work on the weapon concentrated on reducing the overall weight and dimensions with a view to producing a prototype of a five-shot semi-automatic rifle. Other possible future options could include a low-rate automatic fire version and the use of a rifled barrel so as to explore other ammunition design possibilities.

Description

The 15.2mm IWS 2000 is a heavyweight precision rifle designed as a relatively inexpensive system for the long-range attack of matériel such as light armoured vehicles, aircraft on the ground, fuel and supply dumps, radar installations and similar targets. It can be dismantled into two units for pack carriage.The rifle is a semi-automatic bullpup, using plastics and light metal to reduce the weight as far as is consistent with the strength demanded by its role. The mechanism employs the long recoil principle of operation, the barrel and bolt recoiling for about 200mm, after which the bolt is unlocked and held while the barrel is returned to battery.

The bolt is then released, collects a cartridge from the magazine and chambers it, locking into the barrel by a rotary motion.

Recoil of the barrel is reduced by a cylindrical multi-port muzzle brake of considerable efficiency and is controlled by a hydropneumatic annular system carried in a ring cradle forming the front portion of the tubular receiver. The weapon is supported by a bipod, attached above the recoil cradle and by an adjustable firing pedestal beneath the butt. A ×10 optical sight is fitted as standard.The five-round box magazine is inserted from the right side, at an angle of about 45º below the horizontal.The complete 15.2mm APFSDS round weighs 150g and is 207mm long. The cartridge case (maximum diameter at the base is 26mm) is of part-synthetic construction, conventional bottle-necked in form and carries a 20g fin-stabilised tungsten dart projectile which has a claimed penetration of 57mm Rolled Homoneneous armor @ 450 meters range.

http://www.janes.com/articles/Janes...IWS-2000-Anti-Materiel-Rifle-AMR-Austria.html

Pictures:

-Prototype in Austria army firing range 1989

- Production model

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 186
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 135
Dan, same dog bit me. Besides ringing in the ears I have hearing loss in both ears. My most used words are, "excuse me what did you say?" I wonder how many men in the US have military service hearing loss? To me the noise from a 5.56 round is much harder on the ears than the noise from a 3006. Does the infantry in Iraq and Afghanistan have ear protection that they can use in combat?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your hearing problems, folks :(

I've myself fired a lots of bullets, fortunately the AKM-47 is much more gentle to the ears then those monsters.
The one thing I remember from 1995: one of my comrades decided to fire an AT rocket launcher to a suspisious heap of rocks (thinking some Serb guerilla fighters might be hiding behind it).
He didn't used ear plugs that come with the launcher, so the next thing after shooting was he yelling and cursing because of noise of the AT launcher firing.

Cheytac m200

The manually operated bolt action Cheytac rifle in .408 caliber ( 10,4 x 71mm in metric designation) is one of the most accurate heavy snipers in the market today, with a custom designed bullet it carry an extreme "speed retention", the projectile keep an supersonic velocity above 1800 meters.

Despite not being designed as an dedicate antiarmor weapon its solid bronze bullet have a decent steel plate penetration/fragmentation up to 1000 meters.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DTLsgCH0ys

Attachments

• img003.jpg
    img003.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 150
  • img004.jpg
    img004.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 130
  • img005.jpg
    img005.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 179
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 188
  • Cheytac white paper V2.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 90
P.A.W personal assault weapon.

The PAW is an south africa design based in a shortened MG 151 round ( all returns :) ), the rifle is an sort of hibryd between an grenade launched/ heavy rifle. Its muzzle velocity is about 305 mps. The gun is gas operated semiautomatic with a rotating bolt and 7 round magazine.

The PAW-20 has attracted some criticism due to the location of the ejection port; these allegations have largely been proven false, as the spent casings are ejected no closer to the operator's face than in a conventional assault rifle being fired from the left hand. Due to the unique location of the pistol grip on the side of the weapon, it can be fired from the left shoulder for a right-handed operator by simply placing the butt on the left shoulder, with no hand swapping necessary. This allows the user the advantage of being able to fire from around or under cover, with little time required to change the grip on the weapon. The right-handed location of the pistol grip also allows the weapon to recoil unimpeded into the shoulder of the operator, allowing for a much more manageable recoil than most weapons of this class.

20x42mm cartridge

The 20x42mm cartidge was specifically developed for the PAW-20, decreasing the overall weight and size of the weapon, and enabling the it to hold more rounds in the magazine. It has a muzzle velocity of 305 m/s (1,000f/s), and a much flatter trajectory than the more common 40mm grenade launcher round. A number of less-than-lethal rounds are also available for the PAW-20

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 217
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 547
Chinese 35 mm Grenade Launchers:

The chinese weapons is made around a semirimmed 35x32mm ammunition. There are 3 models based around this cartrigde , the prototype QLZ-86, the series QLZ-87 and the newest QBL87B wich is a completely differente wepon.

The QLZ-87 operated by delayed blow back, fires from closed bolt and has full automatic fire capabilities, muzzle velocity is between 180-200 mps. The magazine contains 15 rounds. Overall lenght is 970 mm with a 455 mm barrel.The gun can fire HE, HEI,TP and HEAT ammunition, the penetration of the later is claimed as high as 80mm of RHA at 90 degrees. That sounds too much for me, for example the HEDP 40mm round for the US M203, M79 and German H&K 69/79 wich had a very good quality hollow charge could penetrate only 50mm RHA.

Aparently the only users outside china are Bolivia and Venezuela.

QLZ-87 35mm GL in hands of bolivian navy soldier note massive flutted barrel and muzzle brake.

Attachments

• Arma_pesada_de_un_infante_de_marina_boliviano.jpg
    Arma_pesada_de_un_infante_de_marina_boliviano.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
OSV-96, the "russian M82"

OSV-96= special aplications sniper rifle 1996. The russian OSV-96 12.7mm sniper rifle began its life during early 1990s as V-94. Designed and developedat famous KBP (Instrument Design Bureau) in Tula. During following years rifleincorporated several improvements, and was eventually re-designated as OSV-96.It is offered for export and local buyers, and apparently is used in small numbers by MVD troops in Chechnya.

The OSV-96 is a gas operated,rotating bolt semiautomatic rifle. The bolt locks directly to the barrel extension, so it is possible to made a hinge between the barrel and receiver.When not in use, the OSV-96 could be "folded" around this hinge to save the space, since the rifle is quite long. This feature also allows for quick transformation from folded into battle-ready position. To 'foldup' the rifle user must lock the bolt back by cocking it and engaging the bolt catch, then release large barrel lock on the left side of the receiver. The long barrel is free-floated, and fitted with long combination muzzle brake - flash hider. The integral folding bipods are mounted on the special console, attached to the base of the barrel, next to the hinge point. The polymer buttstock is fitted with rubber recoil pad. OSV-96 is usually fitted with some sort of telescope or nightvision sight, but also carries a set of back-up iron sights.

The exact accuracy data of the OSV-96 is not yet published, but, apparently, it is enough for intended work as a anti-materiel rifle or mid-range counter-sniper rifle up to 1400 meters in human sized targets.
Caliber: 12.7x108mm
Operation: gas operated, rotating bolt
Barrel: 1000 mm
Weight: 12.9 kg less ammunition and telescope sight
Length: 1746 mm (1154mm when folded)
Feed Mechanism: 5 rounds detachable box magazine

Attachments

• 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 226
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 212
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 290
As of Jan 2012, the US Army has adopted a Barrett varient the M107. The XM107 bolt action design was dropped in favor of the semi-auto version. It retains the .50 round and is accurate to 1500 to 2000m

Attachments

• 220px-M107_1[1].jpg
    220px-M107_1[1].jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 120
...and I admire Barrett for their ethics too. Kalifornia has banned Barrett products. In response, Barrett refuses to sell, maintain or provide parts for any of their products to the state of Kalifornia gov't entities. Good for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back