Sponsored by:

P0068 MAP/MAF

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2022, 12:13 PM
RP4S911
Pro

Received 568 Likes on 288 Posts
Default P0068 MAP/MAF

I just had the CEL come on. Scanned it and it looks like its only this MAP/MAF code by itself. Not much luck on a search. Anyone have experience with it’s location?

Old 10-15-2022, 12:22 PM
blackcheetah
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 117 Posts

Reset ecu and see if cel come back.Is your car having hésitation ? Lack of power? Drive different ? If so go to à shop for à diagnostic asap
Old 10-15-2022, 10:06 PM
RP4S911
Pro

Originally Posted by blackcheetah
Reset ecu and see if cel come back.Is your car having hésitation ? Lack of power? Drive different ? If so go to à shop for à diagnostic asap
I did feel some hesitation, but not too noticeable.

I’m assuming the sensor would be accessible with the fan cover removed? Looks like it’ll be on top of the throttle body. I’ll have to take a look in the a.m.
Old 10-16-2022, 11:14 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,200 Posts

Mmmm, I think one of the intake plenum installation PDFs shows where this sensor is. Not at my home base at the moment so I can't dig it up for you, but I think it's the IPD one.

If memory serves, the sensor is on the back (firewall-side) of the intake manifold and it's a pain in the *** to get to. If that is indeed where the sensor is, then lowering the engine a few inches is recommended to gain clearance (which isn't nearly as daunting as it sounds).
Old 10-17-2022, 09:59 AM
RP4S911
Pro

Originally Posted by asellus
Mmmm, I think one of the intake plenum installation PDFs shows where this sensor is. Not at my home base at the moment so I can't dig it up for you, but I think it's the IPD one.

If memory serves, the sensor is on the back (firewall-side) of the intake manifold and it's a pain in the *** to get to. If that is indeed where the sensor is, then lowering the engine a few inches is recommended to gain clearance (which isn't nearly as daunting as it sounds).
It truly was a PITA to get to. It sits right on top/center of the throttle body with almost zero clearance to get the screw out. My torx bits with a small ratchet wasn't low profile enough, but I was able to get the screw out using an allen key, blindly of course. My goal was to get it out, get the correct part number, and try cleaning it in alcohol to see if anything changes. I got it all back together and drove the car. No CEL anymore. So the culprit was found. I ordered a new sensor off Pelican (only $30 surprisingly). I can't imagine what the dealer would charge.

I'll have to get pictures of the replacement when it comes in to help the next guy with the same issue. I have been feeling a little bit of hesitation from 2-3k rpm since I've had the car so I'm wondering if this was the reason why.

Last edited by RP4S911; 10-17-2022 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-17-2022, 01:12 PM
esorensen
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The above shows the correct location. I changed mine out not too long ago using the torx bit in a ratchet box wrench. One screw, and DONT DROP IT!!! It took all of 10 min to do, and honestly for me it was unnecessary. The code was from the absolutely packed with dirt air filters that had not been changed for 25k miles. The part is cheap. I had the same code. The engine was requesting more air and wanted to add more fuel for more go. The air volumes could not be met, and therefore a code was thrown. Finding why there is a code is more difficult than just changing the part that is rather simple in construction, and is pretty robust. They don’t “break” often.
Old 10-17-2022, 01:30 PM
RP4S911
Pro

Originally Posted by esorensen
The above shows the correct location. I changed mine out not too long ago using the torx bit in a ratchet box wrench. One screw, and DONT DROP IT!!! It took all of 10 min to do, and honestly for me it was unnecessary. The code was from the absolutely packed with dirt air filters that had not been changed for 25k miles. The part is cheap. I had the same code. The engine was requesting more air and wanted to add more fuel for more go. The air volumes could not be met, and therefore a code was thrown. Finding why there is a code is more difficult than just changing the part that is rather simple in construction, and is pretty robust. They don’t “break” often.
I agree 100%. Addressing a symptom is not the same as addressing the actual problem.

My air filters were replaced just a few thousand miles ago, and looking in there with the intake removed the filters looked very clean (still bright white with no visible debris either). Not touching anything other than the sensor and cleaning it, upon reinstall the code did not come back on (which it consistently came back on less than 5min upon start, after clearing the code) and seemed to smooth out the idle. That pretty much pointed towards just being the sensor for now. I was surprised there weren't any other codes along with it.
Old 01-20-2023, 08:55 AM
evannever
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im dealing with this now and have the same P0068 code, thrown 4 days ago. The concerning thing is it threw a couple hours after doing an oil change and going to lunch.

I cleared the code once and it reappeared after about 5-10 minutes of driving.

Not sure if I caused it, or it was just a coincidence when it failed. The only thing I can think is that while waiting for the oil to drain during the change, I cleaned up the fans and cover with a light application of 303. While I wiped the cover, I just let the 303 sit on the fans under the cover. Theoretically some 303 might have been drawn off the fans and into the filters, but their there wasn’t any liquid on the fans by the time I drove. it seems highly unlikely it would’ve fouled the MAP/MAF sensor. The other possibility is maybe I dislodged a vacuum line when removing the filter or the sensor just failed.

After pulling the fans and intake, nothing looks unusual and there are no obvious lines disconnected or broken.

Thanks to this thread I was able pull the sensor. A 4mm allen will grab the torx screw that holds it in place. It is nerve wracking because you can’t see what you’re doing and there’s little room for being clumsy, but it’s not a difficult task, just make quarter turns by feel and it will come out with little torque.

I’ve ordered a new sensor and new air filters, so we’ll see if that helps. When I pull the bumper to do the filters I’ll get a better look at the vacuum lines.

Finally, if all else fails I have an appointment at my mechanic.
Old 01-20-2023, 10:13 AM
RP4S911
Pro

Originally Posted by evannever
Im dealing with this now and have the same P0068 code, thrown 4 days ago. The concerning thing is it threw a couple hours after doing an oil change and going to lunch.

I cleared the code once and it reappeared after about 5-10 minutes of driving.

Not sure if I caused it, or it was just a coincidence when it failed. The only thing I can think is that while waiting for the oil to drain during the change, I cleaned up the fans and cover with a light application of 303. While I wiped the cover, I just let the 303 sit on the fans under the cover. Theoretically some 303 might have been drawn off the fans and into the filters, but their there wasn’t any liquid on the fans by the time I drove. it seems highly unlikely it would’ve fouled the MAP/MAF sensor. The other possibility is maybe I dislodged a vacuum line when removing the filter or the sensor just failed.

After pulling the fans and intake, nothing looks unusual and there are no obvious lines disconnected or broken.

Thanks to this thread I was able pull the sensor. A 4mm allen will grab the torx screw that holds it in place. It is nerve wracking because you can’t see what you’re doing and there’s little room for being clumsy, but it’s not a difficult task, just make quarter turns by feel and it will come out with little torque.

I’ve ordered a new sensor and new air filters, so we’ll see if that helps. When I pull the bumper to do the filters I’ll get a better look at the vacuum lines.

Finally, if all else fails I have an appointment at my mechanic.
New sensor did it for me. I believe it's not a MAF anymore in the 991, it's a MAP (for pressure), so maybe the 303 is just a coincidence? I thought it could have been dirty/clogged filters causing it too, but they were still nice and clean when I looked down into the inlets with everything off. What you're explaining is exactly how it was for me; It would come right back on after a little driving.
The following users liked this post:
evannever (01-20-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 06:55 PM
evannever
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RP4S911
New sensor did it for me. I believe it's not a MAF anymore in the 991, it's a MAP (for pressure), so maybe the 303 is just a coincidence? I thought it could have been dirty/clogged filters causing it too, but they were still nice and clean when I looked down into the inlets with everything off. What you're explaining is exactly how it was for me; It would come right back on after a little driving.
Soooo… new MAP sensor and filters came in today and I jumped right in to mounting them up. One thing I did to avoid losing that screw that mounts the MAP was tie about 3 ft of goreTex dental floss around the screw and the other end to a washer so I could fish it out if I dropped it. Then after FINALLY getting it snuggled up w/much cursing and sore hands I just yanked off the floss.

What hurts though is the realization that it probably wasn’t my sensor at all… As I was in there struggling, I glanced over and noticed the oil filler cap wasn’t seated all the way. I didn’t notice from the top looking down, but I only had one tab of the oil filler cap seated. Now the intake pressure differential reading makes perfect sense. So hopefully the next guy who gets a P0068 after an oil change will check that first. FWIW, nothing on the web pointed to that.

I put in the new filters, buttoned up the bumper cover and took it for a spirited 15 mile drive… no codes.
DR911s (03-29-2024)
Old 01-24-2023, 08:41 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,132 Likes on 677 Posts

Thanks for the follow up. Good to know and what to look out for.
Old 03-20-2024, 11:04 PM
cmorales954
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Had same error but it was very intermittent. Would clear it and it wouldnt return for ~3-7 days. Cleaned air filters (BMCs); nothing. Replaced MAP; nothing. This past weekend, replaced throttle body, and the 'permanent' CEL went away, and so far new CEL, so I think it was the TB acting up. Car has almost 73,000 miles 2015 991.1 GTS.
Porsche_nuts (03-21-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 11:35 PM
DR911s
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Sounds like periodic replacement of the gasket under the oil filler cap might be a good preventative maintenance step, too, along with those for the Coolant Cap and the Fuel Cap.
Old 05-05-2024, 10:04 AM
cmorales954
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by cmorales954
Had same error but it was very intermittent. Would clear it and it wouldnt return for ~3-7 days. Cleaned air filters (BMCs); nothing. Replaced MAP; nothing. This past weekend, replaced throttle body, and the 'permanent' CEL went away, and so far new CEL, so I think it was the TB acting up. Car has almost 73,000 miles 2015 991.1 GTS.
CEL was gone this entire time after TB replacement… put on 1500 miles. Just came back. Drove 150 miles. Parked it for 5 minutes, turned it back on, and popped on.

So, search continues.

Quick Reply: P0068 MAP/MAF