Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1603 Error Installing AutoCAD 2022

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
Neptune48
3976 Views, 20 Replies

1603 Error Installing AutoCAD 2022

One of the members of my team cannot install AutoCAD 2022 on her machine.  The clock gets up to 92% then unwinds and shows a 1603 error box.

We have done a clean uninstall using the Microsoft Fixit tool.

We have uninstalled and reinstalled the Autodesk Desktop Licensing Service.

We have deleted all the C++ Redistributable files.

We have deleted all the temp files.

We have enabled short file name creation (and disabled it again after the installation failed again).

We haven't yet created a new Windows profile lest it wipe out everything on her machine.

Background:  Our IT department deployed the latest Windows 10 update last week (Feb 22, 2022).  The next morning our team member could not launch AutoCAD because the license would not validate.

IT tried and failed to fix that, so we agreed to uninstall and reinstall the program.  Except now the program won't install.

Our team member has been unable to do any work for a week now.

IT claims they cannot restore Windows 10 to the pre-update state.

So what now—should we just cut our losses and order a new computer?

Thanks,

Bruce

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
pendean
in reply to: Neptune48

Find nd post the installation log file please; it explains what pre-requisite is missing (1603 error means that), and I suspect your IT folks can fix it once they know for sure what is missing.
Message 3 of 21
Neptune48
in reply to: pendean

Unfortunately, it's not writing a log file in "%temp%."  Until yesterday, it used to, but now not so much.  We tried both the INSTALL NOW from the manage.autodesk.com Website and the Autodesk Desktop Installer app.

Message 4 of 21
pendean

Well that blows: is your login a limited user account by chance?
Sounds like you have bigger system issues if the BROWSER DOWNLOAD method from your account page (never INSTALL NOW and never from ADA) does not work either https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Instal....
Message 5 of 21
Neptune48
in reply to: pendean

Thanks again for responding, Pendean.

Sorry, but I don't know what a limited user account is. 

This is a standard subscription, assigned to a single user.  It was renewed last September and has been working fine up until last week when the latest update of Windows 10 was deployed to her computer.  She was unable to launch AutoCAD.  The error message was "Product License – Out of Time." 

Our IT department tried their best, but it stumped them, too.   So we did a complete uninstall and tried to reinstall.  During the installation, when the percentage wheel was going, it would get up to anywhere from 87% to 95% complete, then stop, unwind, and declare the installation a failure, with error code 1603.

I guess the next step is to wipe her computer's hard drive clean and start over.  It will be painful, but she has not been able to use AutoCAD for a week now, and and using AutoCAD 95% of her job, and is part of the critical path to production in the Company.

Message 6 of 21
m_latz

Normally error code 1603 should be an error code from windows installer. If you can't find log files in the %temp% it is possible, that the log file creation of this msi package is not enabled as default.

What you can do is temporarily enable "global msi logging", means in general for all msi installations is logging enabled.

To do this you have to create the following registry keys (use regedit):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer

There create a string key "Logging" with the value "voicewarmup"

And a DWORD key "Debug" with the value 7

MSI-Logging-Activated.png

Do not forget to delete the keys later.

Now you should find something like MSI*.log in the %temp% folder of the user who executes the installation.

regards

Markus

Message 7 of 21
Neptune48
in reply to: m_latz

Thanks, m.latz.

Before touching the registry we went through one more time and deleted everything Autodesk-related we could find, including some places not listed in the "clean uninstall" instructions.

Of course the install failed again, but this time it wrote several files to %temp%:

File Name                                                                                    Size            

AutoCAD_2022_English_Win_64bit_dlm.sfx.log................................................244
adsk_dda_dlm.lock.........................................................................................................0
adsk_dda_ui.lock............................................................................................................0
AdODIS-install.log................................................................................................36,588
adsk_dda_im.lock...........................................................................................................0
adsk_dda_la.lock............................................................................................................0
adsk_dda_pl.lock............................................................................................................0
adsk_IPCUpdaterChannel.lock....................................................................................0
Autodesk_AutoCAD_Architecture_OE_2022_install.log...........................533,030
Autodesk_AutoCAD_Private_2022_uninstall.log............................................5,150
Autodesk_AutoCAD_Private_2022_install.log............................................198,396
Autodesk_AutoCAD_Architecture_OE_2022_uninstall.log........................36,838
utodesk_AutoCAD_LangPack_en-US_2022_uninstall.log.....................1,107,578
Autodesk_AutoCAD_LangPack_en-US_2022_install.log.......................1,740,432
Autodesk_AutoCAD_Core_2022_install.log.............................................14,802,146
Autodesk_AutoCAD_Core_2022_uninstall.log.........................................9,775,636

I browsed through them and in Autodesk_AutoCAD_Private_2022_install.log I found the following error listings:

1: LicensingCustomAction.licRegister [E] [12:09:38:750]: exit code: 100, output: (500)(error while saving feature:ENCODED{5pywJ/fogvXf8iX+iOlvnoYvdKdDYmm0+2/I8iZxJGxpiSTGUsqKT0xDvHPvVu/n77DZowxw/mzfMmNbfgG7v0Xysi+SFyXl+poxS5SpmhkPuwC1V23FNERHcQpycjtsJpjfpSfDjW5mCTB7wNQZuf+bKsNAfQaHYAjI5ptq89MqmFYKgm5APGg0Ni8fYqu+ChFuI/Y90pKCeg42e9NZYLvYvJZbFcjZ8AiO5/+BcO+PQ6oJtcVUyodgvbczUKUgfpCuJHpkVQKexCjPdcw7A+IQ+B1LBYs2spxONS9Fz1ha52lAcMEM1B0R24aD5ugh})
hint: might be caused by invalid feature for current pit file. Action ended Return value 3
1: LicensingCustomAction.licRegister [E] [12:09:38:750]: Registering a product with key 00000 and version 2022.0.0.F failed
CustomAction licRegister.8B858D99_2C63_4281_AE43_6782314CCC1B returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

MSI (s) (74:B4) [12:09:38:774]: Error in rollback skipped. Return: 5
MSI (s) (74:B4) [12:09:38:776]: Note: 1: 2318 2:
MSI (s) (74:B4) [12:09:38:779]: Note: 1: 2318 2:
MSI (s) (74:B4) [12:09:38:779]: No System Restore sequence number for this installation.

MSI (s) (74:B4) [12:09:38:812]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: ACAD Private. Product Version: 24.1.51.0. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Autodesk. Installation success or error status: 1603.

Is this what we are looking for?  Some of these files are too big to paste or email, and I don't really know where I'm supposed to be looking.

Thanks,

Bruce

Message 8 of 21
Neptune48

U P D A T E :

Per the Customer Support instructions, we uninstalled the license manager and replaced it with the latest version.  Still no joy, and the error in the log file was the same as above.

Thanks,

Bruce

Message 9 of 21
m_latz

Yes, that is what I'm looking for. Is it possible to get the "Autodesk_AutoCAD_Private_2022_install.log" from you, that I can check in detail ? But in the log file are confidential information (Serial number, license server, etc...) so may be it is better, that you send me the log file via e-mail. If this is an option for you, I will send you a private message with my e-mail Address.

What you can also try is to reinstall the VC++ Runtime 2015-2019 x86 and x64, because the dll's to register the license depend on this runtimes.

But I suppose that the input for the custom action "licRegister.8B858D99_2C63_4281_AE43_6782314CCC1B" is wrong/broken.

regards

Markus

Message 10 of 21
Neptune48

Markus,

I can't seem to find a viable method to contact you.  Attempting to send a private message takes me down some mysterious path to talk to people I've never heard of, and you are not listed among them.

I also don't have an email address for you, either.

I can't begin to describe how stupid I feel just now.

Regards,

Bruce

Message 11 of 21
m_latz

Hello Bruce,

I've send you a private message. Let me know if you have received.

regards

Markus

Message 12 of 21
m_latz

Good Morning Bruce,

under the condition, that currently there is no AutoCAD 2022 or any other Autodesk product installed on that pc, you should not have the file C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Adlm\ProductInformation.pit.

Because if AutoCAD 2022 does a successful uninstall and no other Autodesk product is installed and registered the file is deleted, because during the uninstall the AutoCAD installer makes an "unregister".

Here some screenshots to demonstrate:

LicProblem-1.png

LicProblem-2.png

The error message in your log file "says" there is a problem with "licRegister.8B858D99_2C63_4281_AE43_6782314CCC1B", so I would try to delete all files in the folder "C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Adlm", except the subfolder "R23". After it should look like Screenshot 1.

Check that the user has read/write access to that folder. Then try again to install AutoCAD 2022.

Sometimes the file "ProductInformation.pit" is damaged and the licRegister/licRemove ... do not work.

But if you get the same error, next step is to install AutoCAD without the "licRegister" custom action during the install. Then AutoCAD should install. After we try to manually register with the "license helper" from Autodesk.

Try it and let me know if it worked. If not we try "plan b"

regards

Markus

Message 13 of 21
Neptune48

Aw...it failed again.  Let's try plan b please.

Regards,

Bruce

Message 14 of 21
m_latz

Okay,

again, if exists delete the file "C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Adlm\ProductInformation.pit"

Then modify the configuration file:

"C:\Autodesk\AutoCAD_2022_English_Win_64bit_dlm\x64\acadprivate\pkg.acadprivate.xml"

If your installation sources are stored at a different path, modify accordingly.

Add the following line:

<MsiProperty name="CLM_SKIP_REGISTER" value="1"/>

See my screenshot:

LicProblem-3.png

After try to install AutoCAD again. And let me know if it worked now.

If this works we have to register AutoCAD manually for the license manager.

If you try to start AutoCAD without the registration you should get the following error message:

LicProblem-4.png

Try and keep me up to date ...

regards

Markus

Message 15 of 21
m_latz

If your AutoCAD installation was successful, we have to register it now. To proceed, open a "Command prompt" window as "Administrator":

LicProblem-5.png

And type or paste the following command to the command prompt:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\AdskLicensing\Current\helper\AdskLicensingInstHelper.exe" register -pk 001N1 -pv 2022.0.0.F -cf C:\Autodesk\AutoCAD_2022_English_Win_64bit_dlm\x64\acadprivate\AutoCADConfig.pit -el US

After check if it worked with:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\AdskLicensing\Current\helper\AdskLicensingInstHelper.exe" list

LicProblem-6.png

If AutoCAD is listed now, try to start AutoCAD again. Now it should work. If not let me know.

regards

Markus

Message 16 of 21
Neptune48

Hi Markus,

We had to put this off for a day.  IT gave our team member a loaner, which installed AutoCAD on the first try, so today she spent catching up on some of her more urgent items.

We've scheduled a session for Wednesday morning to apply Plan B.  We'll let you know the results as soon as possible.

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards,

Bruce

Message 17 of 21
m_latz

Good Morning Bruce,

thank you for your update.  Take your time.

regards

Markus

Message 18 of 21
Neptune48

Markus,

We tried plan B, and still no joy.  It installed up to around 79%, then unwound, displayed the 1603 error, and it did not write any log files.

I don't know what IT or Microsoft did to that computer during the last Windows "update," other than to render it unusable for AutoCAD, but we are done wasting everyone's time, including yours.

As much as I am loathe to let this thing defeat me, it's time to cut our losses.  Our team member is too valuable a resource to let her remain idle any longer.  We have ordered her a new computer and IT can deal with the old one—after we have wiped clean everything Autodesk related.

I'd like to thank everyone on this Forum for their concern, their patience and their efforts, especially you, Markus.

Best Regards,

Bruce

Message 19 of 21
m_latz

Hello Bruce,

I'm sorry to hear that. But I understand you, priority is given to the deadline work.

Plan c would have been to install all msi packages individually, but this is time-consuming especially via the forum. And makes only sense if you have more than one pc with the problem.

Wish you a nice day.

regards

Markus

Message 20 of 21
Neptune48

Thanks again, Markus.

Best Regards,

Bruce

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report