Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Key Binds? - especially panning

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
DisturbedCorner
1097 Views, 5 Replies

Change Key Binds? - especially panning

It was a good idea to make clicking and holding the scroll wheel pan around the drawing since the standard pointing device only has left, right and scroll wheel clicks.

However, I for one find it awkward. My scroll wheel takes a fair bit of effort to click and other muscle control to prevent it from rolling and uncontrollably zooming in and out. My hand feels like I have a death grip on the mouse.  After about 3 hours, I get a strange feeling of pain and numbness - onset of carpal tunnel. I hate wasting time on the clock, but my hand needs a break. I have a standard size mouse too, about 4.25" deep x 2.5" wide x 1.25" tall. Most office mice are less than 4" deep - some silly crazy over laptop petiteness. I'm looking at asking the company to get an $80 mouse to be about the right size because that's what I use at home and it's comfortable still after long hours.

--OR--

Can the developers of Civil3D allow some hot-key remapping so that I can disable panning on the scroll wheel and enable it to a side mouse button? (default panning on left or right click would be comfortable on the hand, but terrible for the work-flow)

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
cwr-pae
in reply to: DisturbedCorner

mbuttonpan=0 turns off panning with the middle button and gives you an osnap menu on that button in its place.

Hitting p then enter is a short cut already mapped to pan.

If your mouse driver allows remapping of the mouse buttons you can map them however suits you.

If you have right click menus turned on you wouldn't wont to replace that with pan, but that menu has pan in it (right click and pick pan or hit the n as a shortcut).

If you want to mess with the CUI, there is a section for mouse buttons where you can change the click, shift+click, ctl+click and shift+ctl+click responses for upto 10 mouse buttons.

Message 3 of 6
cwr-pae
in reply to: cwr-pae

PS: programming a mouse button to be 'p' still need enter to trigger pan. If you can key mutlistroke assignments the p and enter will trigger pan with one click.

Message 4 of 6
DisturbedCorner
in reply to: cwr-pae

Thank you CWR, I forgot about the CUI. That has the most potential, but now I'm finding that neither windows nor Civil3D are detecting the side mouse buttons on my mouse I brought from home. I'll have to bring the mouse software next time to see if I can correct that.

Also, am I to assume:

Button 1: OS

Button 2: left click

Button 3: middle click

Button 4: right click

Button 5: fore thumb button

Button 6: aft thumb button?

And after selecting a "mouse button #" on the right next to "command:" it seems I just type in the command name, in this case, "pan" and that's it?

Good stuff to play around with there, I'll come back to this next week.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: DisturbedCorner

xmouse is a good freeware application that can program any key or key combo to any mouse button you like on a per application basis.

The M510 I've found is a very usable and comfortable basic mouse.  My favorite CAD mouse so far.

Message 6 of 6

Using the Elecom Huge there is plenty of room for whatever you want.

huge.PNG

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report