As an Amazon associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!                               

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Risky Business 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
9 hrs ago
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.51
11 hrs ago
Le Samouraï 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
5 hrs ago
The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare 4K (Blu-ray)
$32.99
12 hrs ago
Once Upon a Time in the West 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.79
1 day ago
The Bridge on the River Kwai 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.83
13 hrs ago
Crimson Peak 4K (Blu-ray)
$41.99

The Magnificent Seven 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
1 day ago
Civil War 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.57

Perfect Days 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
20 hrs ago
Narc 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Doctor Who: Tom Baker - Complete Season Six (Blu-ray)
$27.99
15 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > OLED TVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2023, 09:35 PM   #1

Nov 2008
Send a message via AIM to GBMidge7
Default OLED Banding issues; LG says nothing wrong

Hey all. I was looking for some opinions on my OLED. It's a 2023 C2 and I am noticing banding across the screen. It is most obvious in darker scenes, grey screens like menu screens, etc. It is more difficult to see in bright scenes or scenes with a lot going on.

I contacted LG support and after some ridiculously stupid troubleshooting they authorized a local technician (LG certified or whatever) to come out and check it out.

That was in and of itself ridiculous. The technician was completely flippant about my issue, telling me that using Youtube video test screens isn't valid, etc. He even told me that if it's only obvious in grey screens and stuff what's the big deal, since how often are you watching just grey screens. I was pretty annoyed. THey tried to do the live video conference with LG from my house but they couldn't get it working. So he told me to send him the photos i took of the issues annotated with what source they came from, andthey would send those to LG.

So I did that. But I went ne step further. Since I was told youtube test screens and streaming in general wasn't valid, I only took photos of apps or images NATIVE to the TV. So anything you see is generated by the TV itself.

Well unsurprisingly, they sent my images and annotations and LG denied anything is wrong with my tv.

Here are the images. Am I crazy? Making more of this than it is? or should I be expecting something to be done about this.

In most of the images you can see obvious banding. In the image with the white background and the grey mushrooms you can see how the left side is giving off a pinkish hue when it should be white.

Let me know your thoughts and if you all agree something IS wrong, does anyone have any advice on how to escalate this issue to a more likely scenario of getting it taken care of?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20231018_163149.jpg (83.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20231018_163107.jpg (77.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 10-20-2023, 10:28 PM   #2
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Beautiful Pacific Northwest

have you tested any 4k blu ray discs???

Streaming quality is irrelevant since it's well known that it's capabilities are inferior....
Thanks given by:
Bluyoda (11-22-2023)
Old 10-20-2023, 11:15 PM   #3

Nov 2008
Send a message via AIM to GBMidge7

No I haven't. What I was trying to say is I used images natively found on the TV. So the blue images are from an LG screen saver video downloaded directly to the TV, add is the flower image. The YouTube and youTube tv screens are the splash screens directly from the apps themselves, not streamed content. The Xbox menu is simply one of the menus in the Xbox displayed at 4K... no streaming.

The point being is that no matter the source the banding is present and looks exactly the same, including native 4K, non streamed content.
Old 10-21-2023, 12:26 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2013
UK

Oh, don't bother with LG customer service direct. Your TV practically has to be dead for them to admit anything isn't within manufacturing tolerances.

Deal with the retailer you brought it from. That looks like a bad panel.
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (10-21-2023)
Old 10-21-2023, 01:21 PM   #5
Expert Member

Nov 2013

Banding is one of the drawbacks or OLED. LED has dirty screen effect issues. Neither is perfect tech. Unless you plan to use the TV to only look at static images, trying watching some content and decided if it interferes with your enjoyment. Banding is present on almost all OLED and gets worse as the screen size increases. The next one could be worse. You will never get a perfect one. How many times are you willing to go through the hassle of swapping it out? Personally, I don't it is that bad. I've seen much worse.

Last edited by cminer72; 10-21-2023 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-22-2023, 02:45 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2013
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cminer72 View Post
Banding is one of the drawbacks or OLED.... Personally, I don't it is that bad. I've seen much worse.
Most OLEDs will have light banding, sure. This is really noticeable even on phone pics though. Usually I would say you'd have to squint to see banding on pics. So IMHO, it's bad banding on this screen.

This may well be edging into being visible on content. I wonder if B&W films with horizontal panning shots may be the ideal testing ground to see if it's visible?
Old 10-22-2023, 03:08 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2019
South Florida

Here's a grey screen test on my 65" Samsung S95B QD-OLED. Screen uniformity is excellent.

Last edited by dobyblue; 10-23-2023 at 06:19 PM. Reason: removed spam
Thanks given by:
dobyblue (10-23-2023), kishiro (10-23-2023), Robert Zohn (10-22-2023)
Old 11-15-2023, 06:16 PM   #8

Aug 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMidge7 View Post
No I haven't. What I was trying to say is I used images natively found on the TV. So the blue images are from an LG screen saver video downloaded directly to the TV, add is the flower image. The YouTube and youTube tv screens are the splash screens directly from the apps themselves, not streamed content. The Xbox menu is simply one of the menus in the Xbox displayed at 4K... no streaming.

The point being is that no matter the source the banding is present and looks exactly the same, including native 4K, non streamed content.
While you're probably dealing with something with your TV, I will say I think I've noticed that there is banding/artifacts in the YouTube app's ui.
Old 11-22-2023, 06:37 AM   #9

Nov 2023
USA

Hi,

Based on the images you've shared, the banding issue is quite evident, especially in darker scenes and the white background with grey mushrooms. Your concerns are valid, and it's understandable that you want a resolution to the problem.
Old 12-26-2023, 09:32 AM   #10

Dec 2023

Yeah, it's an unpleasant story. The stripes are clearly visible, but I'm not entirely sure whether it's a defect or not. We had a similar issue at our workplace, specifically with the quality of video during video conferences. We reached out to https://www.2orange.nl/videoconference-oplossingen/, as they offer videoconferencing solution for various situations. They quickly and effectively resolved our issue by providing necessary equipment and installing the required software.

Last edited by wortman; 01-02-2024 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-26-2023, 11:55 AM   #11
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2013
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by wortman View Post
Yeah, it's an unpleasant story. The stripes are clearly visible, but I'm not entirely sure whether it's a defect or not.
LG say no.

We say yes.
Old 12-26-2023, 12:16 PM   #12
Expert Member

Nov 2013

You can exchange over and over and keep getting banding. It's normal for OLED. Flawed tech.
Old 12-31-2023, 10:03 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2019
Canada
-
-

Its easily solved. Stop watching youtube and watch 10-bit content instead.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > OLED TVs