Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/24/2007, 01:07 PM   #1
edandsandy
Registered Member

Question Stomatella good or bad?

We have Stomatella's'a in our tank, they have eaten about $100.00 worth of Xena's and mushrooms. We pick out 4 or 5 a night and throw them in our 135 aggressive tank. Everyone in there love's them. They are gone before they are 1/2 way down.
My question is: Do I need t keep picking them out of the tank. When will it ever end!
Or do I just leave them in the tank?
Oh, since we have these Stomatella's in the tank. I have not bought any more Xena's. That really makes me upset, I love to watch them pulse. It always reminds me of the show Little Shop of Horror. LOL

edandsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2007, 01:25 PM   #2
KUDA
Registered Member

I don't think you have stomatellas. Stomatellas only eat algae.

Unread 09/24/2007, 01:27 PM   #3
KUDA
Registered Member

Take a picture if you could.

Unread 09/24/2007, 02:02 PM   #4
Steveabg
Registered Member

We have a few stomatella in our tank, and they only graze on algae. Do they look like this?

The defining feature is the really long body and the small shell.

Steveabg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2007, 02:40 PM   #5
mamagoose45
Registered Member

I've never heard of stomatellas eating corals...most people will agree that they are on the good guys team...

�I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells.� -Theodore Geisel

Current Tank Info: The 270 of my dreams and a 24 nano to keep it real for the little fish...
mamagoose45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2007, 03:56 PM   #6
greenbean36191
Premium Member

Right. Their physiology is adapted to deal with algae, not animal tissue. The internal anatomy of herbivorous and carnivorous snails is pretty different and most species can't switch hit. Stomatella isn't one that can. Either your snails aren't Stomatella or something else is causing your problems.

Current Tank Info: tore them down to move and haven't had the time or money to set them back up
greenbean36191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2007, 08:32 PM   #7
edandsandy
Registered Member

I will take a picture.
Steveabg, they kinda looks like that picture.
I'm sure we will find some tonight! we always do.

Current Tank Info: 375 Reef, 4) Radion LED lights X30 pro, Apex Fusion, Octo Regal 300 E Skimmer, GEO 618 Calcium Reactor 2) Reeflo Snapper pumps, 2)50g refugium, 2) MP 40's
Unread 09/24/2007, 08:36 PM   #8
edandsandy
Registered Member

FYI..........
We did ask the LFS about these snails. They said that they were eating our Xena's,
is the LFS out of there minds? or are they just filling their pocket?

Current Tank Info: 375 Reef, 4) Radion LED lights X30 pro, Apex Fusion, Octo Regal 300 E Skimmer, GEO 618 Calcium Reactor 2) Reeflo Snapper pumps, 2)50g refugium, 2) MP 40's
Unread 09/24/2007, 08:52 PM   #9
edandsandy
Registered Member

Here are 2 small ones.

Unread 09/24/2007, 10:17 PM   #10
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

They look like stomatella but its hard to tellfrom the picture.. Stomatella have a shell that only covers part of their body. I believe they are commonly called head sheild slugs. They do not eat coral based on every reference I've read and in my experience and are considered very beneficail alagae grazers. I wish I had even more.Your coral could be dying from something else and they could be eating algae growing on the nutrients form necrotic tissue.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2007, 10:32 PM   #11
Sk8r
RC Mod

I've never heard of stomatellas eating anything but algae. Logic says if stomatellas eat only algae, and what you've got looks like stomatellas, but eats meat, you've got a look-alike of some kind, sort of like koalas and pandas look like bears and aren't. The ocean is wide, and there are surprises in it. I'm sure curious.

I'll say points of resemblance to the stomatellas I know are the long antennae and the shield-back; BUT these guys are redder, and quite round in body, while mine were elongate, moved like greased lightning [for a snail] and dun brown to black/gray patterned. They didn't like bright light.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2007, 07:37 AM   #12
edandsandy
Registered Member

I agree that they are only supposed to eat algae, from all the research we have been doing and reading info. here at the RC.
HOWEVER, we have seen them at the base of there Xena's and the next morning where they were, their was a piece missing from the Xena's, and needless to say the Xena's died. I will try and take another picture of them tonight. These guy's move very, very fast when you try to get them out of the tank. Well with all that being said, we do not have any of the Xena's in the tank, and we won't be replacing them any time soon. If everyone agrees that they are ok for the tank, we will stop plucking them out 1 by 1, I'm sure our other tank will miss their late night treats. THANKS again for everyone's advice.

Unread 09/25/2007, 01:22 PM   #13
greenbean36191
Premium Member

Those are definitely Stomatella. There is absolutely no way, shape, or form that they're causing the demise of your Xenia. All of the snails in the order these guy come from are exclusively herbivorous. They don't have the equipment to eat meat. Eating meat for them would be like you trying eat wood. Some animals are adapted to do it, but not you.

I would keep looking for a cause, but unfortunately Xenia is known to be very fickle. In some tanks it can't be stopped and in some it just won't last and there's no apparent reason.

Current Tank Info: tore them down to move and haven't had the time or money to set them back up
greenbean36191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2007, 04:16 PM   #14
edandsandy
Registered Member

greenbean36191
OK, I believe you that they did not eat the xenia's. I just needed to know if the pictures I took last night were clear enough to be certain they are stomatella's, they looked a little different from the other pictures I've seen.
I will not be purchasing any more xenia's, as you stated they are very fickle. It really upsets me to see anything die! Let alone all the money we already spend on our reef!
I trust that you are right. Again, our other tank will now be missing their olate night snack!

Unread 09/26/2007, 11:23 PM   #15
tpdpercula
Registered Member

I have Xenia and other corals (SPS & LPS) and have never had any problem with Stomatellas and they are ALL OVER.

Current Tank Info: 210g Mixed Reef tank, (2) 60g frag tanks (containing a Sohal in one & Naso in the other along with breeding pairs of True Percs, 40g frag tank w/Pair of Picassos, 24 Nano w/ breeding pair of True Percs and 24 Nano Mixed Reef w/pair of Ocellaris
tpdpercula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2007, 08:00 AM   #16
edandsandy
Registered Member

tpdpercula, thanks

Unread 09/28/2007, 08:48 PM   #17
gunslingerone9
Registered Member

i know the feeling i can get almost everything to thrive but xenia, which is funny because some people want to get rid of theirs because it grows some much its a nusiance

Current Tank Info: 12 gallon nano
gunslingerone9 is offline   Reply With Quote