Dinzag's AKS-20 Conversion - Part 2

Here's another project I have going... :smoke:

Click Here ->Post #9 and Here ->Post #11 for updated pics...or scoll down

post-2093-1140888585_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1140900640_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1140585616_thumb.jpg

I got my furniture fitted and assembled. The front handguards need to be refinished to match the Stock. I have a U.S. pistol grip coming to replace the Bulgarian Fat Boy for parts count. Also going to do a raised FSB & flash hider or '74 brake. The FSB will be hand made and calibrated to match the new RSB.

Here's what I've done so far:

Modded AKM RSB to fit down close to barrel & welded.

post-2093-1140900679_thumb.jpg

Removed stock gas tube & cut off RSB end.

Removed RSB end of AK gas tube and retainers.

Assembled shortened S-20 gas tube and welded on AK HG retainers.

post-2093-1140900747_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1140900713_thumb.jpg

Removed locking portion of an AKM lower HG retainer.

Welded tang onto the lower HG retainer ala Stokstad's idea to fasten it to the bottom of the gas block.

This was recycled from the PG conversion.

post-2093-1140889235_thumb.jpg

I can now remove & replace the furniture in a couple minutes with any standard AK furniture.

:smoke:

I'll update & add pics as I go...need to touch up all the welds & paint amongst other things.

Thanks for looking! ;)

Edited by dinzag

Gunboy69 - thanks to Stokstad on that - I think Cobra would agree - the chopped off tang mod is kick-ass! I also used a chunk of the trigger guard plate to thicken the front upper handguard retainer. Hence all the weld marks. I've now ground it all smooth.

birdman2scuba, I liked your S-20 deck pics so I did the same! Awesome job pioneering the AK handguard retainer mods & posting the info about the brass drift. That works great for removing the gas blocks! :super:

Thanks Cobra! Your AKS-20 woody will have some competition now...

HOLY Dinzag... "you use your skills purdier than a twenty dollar whore! " :wub::lol:

Seriously, though... thats awesome work... I think you are going to give Cobra a run for his rebuilding money!

Between the two of you, and Tony... damn... :super:

:up: Thanks guys! I'm happy with how it came out. :wub:

Yeah, the lower retainer works great. Everyone can thank Stokstad for that one. I was going to flatten it before I welded, but I kind of liked the kicker on there. I may go back and weld up behind it and close the cleaning rod hole someday. I wish there was a way to make a handguard retainer that has a lever to release so no tools are required for disassembly, but I lack that much ambition! I guess I could always weld a wingnut to the screw- :unsure::rolleyes:

The gas tube was very tricky - the hardest part of the whole project. The locking end was easy, but the gas block end was a PITA to get on there. I ground the retainer flat on the front which makes the hole too big for the gas tube. I then cut a piece from the removed trigger plate and thickened it. I had to weld all the way around the semi-circle. Then I drilled a hole for the tube to slide into and welded those 2 together. You have to be very careful not to melt them because they are very thin. After all that fun, then came grinding & cleanup.

I'm starting on the FSB & brake next week. :super: Stay tuned!

edited: o.k. maybe not next week now as I have a S-12 to deal with now...

Edited by dinzag
  • 2 months later...

Thanks! Yup weld on. I got pics in the thread somewhere. They are off an AK-47 parts kit (Romy).

I now have the FSB / brake on as well. I will update pics this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated pics... :smoke:

Pistonring8's bead blasting job on the carrier...awesome!

Tromix retro AK-74 brake set-screwed on with welded AKM FSB.

(Sorry for the lack of 10 rounders - in the works!)

post-2093-1149996154_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1149996194_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1149996229_thumb.jpg